Flies are one of the most annoying things you can have in your house. Always buzzing around, flying close to your face, around your food.
Your first thought may be to go straight for a rolled-up newspaper. Or spend a few minutes trying to force it back out of the window it came in.
There are many ways you can keep flies away, one of which is using scents. Now you don't have to spray your home which a bunch of random chemicals you find hard to pronounce. A simple and effective way of combating flies is using specific scented candles.
By strategically placing scented candles around your house you get a double benefit. Firstly, you can keep flies and bugs away and secondly you get a beautiful smelling home!
Best Scents to keep flies and bugs away
There are some scents that are well known for keeping flies and bugs away. We find the best ones are candles with the following scents.
Hopefully, you like some of the smells below. Flies absolutely hate them.
- Lavender - This essential oil has loads of uses, one of which is keeping flies and bugs away! It's been used for centuries across the globe.
- Peppermint - Also reported to keep spiders away. Peppermint is another smell flies absolutely hate. A study found it can actually kill mosquito larvae and repels adult mosquitos.
- Lemongrass - A study from 2013 found lemongrass oil could be used as a repellent against stable flies. More on this below!
- Cinnamon - Like peppermint, it has also been reported that Cinnamon can kill mosquito larvae. A good all-round scent for keeping bugs away.
- Citronella - Widely known to keep mosquitoes away, works well for normal flies and bugs as well.
If you can find candles that have these specific scents in, you’re on to a winner. It may be a case of trial and error to find the perfect scent. One you love and the flies hate!
Do scents actually keep flies away?
Now we're not saying that lighting a few candles will instantly stop any fly in its track. But look at the picture below.
This is from a study in 2013. Lemongrass was sprayed in the "Treated" area and then tracked stable flies’ behaviour.
You can clearly see what area the fly did not like entering!
How to use scented candles to keep flies & bugs away
Now you have your scents the next step is making sure that you have the right size candle to do the job. You'll also need to make sure they are placed in the right place.
It's best to go with a large candle if possible, or several small ones, to ensure a good scent throw.
If you have a patio door or window open in a certain room, make sure you have one of your candles lit in that room.
It might be tempting to stick your candle right next to the open window or door. Of course, the danger here is a breeze could blow the flame, or melted wax onto something flammable. You also run the risk of the breeze blowing the candle out!
If you have a large enough candle, or numerous candles the scent throw should be able to fill the room effectively. Thus, you don't need to worry about the smell being directly near the open area.
Make sure you follow our candle etiquette guide to ensure you get the most out of your candle and stay safe whilst burning.